Availability of water sources in Central Europe has become an issue in recent years. Our Czech brand, Radegast, took the fight against drought into its own hands and leads the initiatives for saving water.

Water is an essential ingredient of beer. Its quality affects its taste and its quantity has a direct impact on its consumers and the environment they live in. People in Radegast, one of our Czech leading brands by Plzeňský Prazdroj, are aware of it. So they decided to use every glass, bottle or can of their amazing beer in the fight against the drought. 

Reusing, recycling, helping nature

Only a few breweries in the Czech Republic brew their beers using less than 4 litres of water per one litre of beer. Radegast brewery in Nošovice ranks among the top ones with about 2,5 litres of water consumption per one litre of beer. On top of that, they care about recycling a lot. In the last decade a unique system of recycling pounds was put into use and since then they have purified 430 000 m3 of rainwater that is now back in nature. Radegast also manages its own grant initiatives for tackling the drought.

3 million litres saved with new urinals

When you have a couple of beers with your friends, after a while you need to go pee. And flushing the urinals takes a lot of water, especially in a place like Radegastovna, pub operated by Radegast brand, where people enjoy the bitter taste of freshly drawn Radegast. This seemed like a big waste of water to the Radegast team, so they tried to lower the water consumption.

In collaboration with a company called EcoStep, they replaced classic water urinals with those that do not need to be flushed without compromising on hygiene. With the new solution in 15 branches, Radegastovna saved about 3 million litres of water.

The brand also encourages its consumers to become involved in water-saving initiatives. Radegast regularly launches sustainability initiatives such as the Drought Challenge, which guides people to adopt the environment-friendly approach. Through the mobile app, participants are encouraged to have a short shower instead of a full bathtub or brushing teeth without water running constantly and much more.

So if you want to save water, drink Radegast!

More stories

3/26/2021

Viper Hard Seltzer enters European market

Asahi Europe & International launches Viper Hard Seltzer onto the alcoholic beverage market. The new hard seltzer category, which was born only a few years ago, sets a completely new trend in the field of flavored alcoholic beverages.

Read more
3/14/2023

New LECH Nowy Staw III wind farm producing energy for Kompania Piwowarska

As of 2021, 100% of the electricity needs of the breweries owned by Kompania Piwowarska are covered with wind energy supplied by RWE. Our newly launched wind farm LECH Nowy Staw III is located near the town of Nowy Staw, about 50 km south-east of Gdansk. The LECH Nowy Staw III wind farm, owned and operated by RWE, is comprised of three turbines, which together have a total installed capacity of 12 megawatts (MW) and meets 54% of Kompania Piwowarska’s demand for electricity necessary to brew beer in the Dojlidy Brewery, Lech Browary Wielkopolski and Tyskie Browary Ksiazece, while the remaining 46% is already delivered by the existing wind farms in Nowy Staw.

Read more