Health and Safety Advisor
Do you have experience within Health and Safety within Food and Beverage or the manufacturing industry?
Are you someone who is committed to improving systems and processes to have a positive impact on a business?
Would you like to work with an aspirational Beer company?
It yes, The Meantime Brewing Company, (part of Asahi) would love to hear from you…
Who are we?
Meantime Brewing Company (part of Asahi) is the UK’s leading modern craft brewery. Founded by Alastair Hook in 1999, the mission was and still is to change the way people think about beer!
Quality and passion are at the heart of everything that we do. We have always had a drive to continuously improve our beers and ensure that the beers are the best in the world. We have won Gold Medals in the World Beer Cup numerous times and were the first UK brewery to do so. We blend tradition and modern technology in our cutting-edge brewery based in Greenwich, South East London.
This is an exciting time to join the team, with the Asahi business entering into a new phase of its journey in the UK and Europe, following Asahi International Ltd.’s acquisition of the Meantime Brewing Company in 2015 and most recently the Fuller’s drinks business in April 2019. The operational footprint in the UK has widened, bringing new brewing and distribution capabilities as well as an expanded portfolio - now including cask ales and ciders for the first time.
We are currently seeking a credible and organised Health, Safety and Environment Advisor with strong communication, influencing skills and sound technical knowledge. This role will provide first-line specialist support and advice on all Health, Safety and Environment matters to managers and colleagues ensuring compliance with legislation and policy.
A desire for continual improvement is essential, with responsibility for maintaining, reviewing and developing policy and procedure sitting with this role. The health, safety and environmental advisor will help drive a culture of safe operation within the wider teams.
Your key responsibilities as a Health, Safety & Environment Advisor will include:
- Ensure Compliance to Company HS&E Policy and UK H&S Legislation.
- Liaise with external bodies as required e.g. HSE, Fire Officers, EHO etc.
- Proactively promote a positive safety culture and build awareness among the workforce in relation to Legislation and the Company’s business requirements.
- Directly monitor Health and Safety issues, operating practices, etc., in order to create and maintain a safe working environment, making regular routine inspections of all areas of the site.
- Work collaboratively with the team at the Chiswick brewery to facilitate best practice
- Constantly develop the H&S audit and programme to meet changes in legislation and ensure completion within an agreed timeframe.
- Provide or source, where necessary, training and development for employees in relation to Health & Safety matters.
- Investigate or arrange for accidents and near misses to be investigated, prepare report of findings (including recommendations on how to prevent recurrence) and implement approved course action.
- Arrange and carry out workplace safety inspections and risk assessments, report on findings and then implementing changes and improvements.
- Assist Colleagues with statement recording, legal advice, etc. as necessary.
- Manage the safety contractors and the assessments they complete in the brewery e.g arranging assessments, checking the actions are suitable and sufficient.
- Complete any other reasonable tasks/ requests as required to meet KPI targets.
Your Ideal Background:
- NEBOSH General Certificate or QCF Level 3 equivalent or evidence of working towards relevant qualifications.
- Experience in an Operational/ Industrial Environment is essential.
- Sound technical Health and Safety knowledge.
- Understanding of HSE Management systems and UK HSE legislation.
- Ability to work independently but also collaboratively with managers and project teams.
- Ability to successfully manage and prioritise own workload.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to influence colleagues to ensure that they behave in a safe and responsible manner.
- Experience with support and coaching at all levels.
What you get:
- We offer is a competitive basic salary
- A generous benefits package
- A vibrant culture where people are passionate about beer
- Staff discounts - Yes discounted Beer!
- 25 days holiday
- Private medical
- Life Assurance
- Full time permanent role
Nearest tube - North Greenwich, Jubilee line and then a 15-minute walk from there.